This 35 acres restored riparian forest and wetland borders the Mississinewa River. This preserve is an excellent spot to view birds, deer and other wildlife.
The mowed trails of this preserve twist through the prairie with benches ideal for wildlife observation located throughout. The trail is adjacent to the forested section buffering the Mississinewa River, but there is no river access.
The preserve is dedicated to Mike J. Kiley, who was not only a Marion judge and attorney, but also served on the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Board for 27 years working for conservation in Indiana.
Visitors should note that after rainfall, the trails will be soft or temporarily submerged in water.
Michael Joseph Kiley (1934-2008) was born on July 15, 1934, in Marion, Indiana, the son of the late Phillip and Louise (Stephenson) Kiley. He attended St. Paul Grade School and graduated from Gilmore Academy High School, Gates Milles, Ohio, in 1952 and from the University of Notre Dame in 1956. He married Carol Ann Jones on June 21, 1958.
Mike received a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Georgetown University Law School in 1959. While in law school Mike worked on the Capitol Hill Police Force. He was part of the honor guard in the Capitol Building when the remains of the World War II and Korean Unknown Soldier were lying in state in the Capitol in 1958. He served as Marion City Court Judge from 1963 until 1970.
He was appointed by Governor Bowen to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Board in 1978 and served for 27 years. He received the Sagamore of the Wabash Award, the highest honor that can be bestowed by a Governor, during Governor Bob Orr’s term.
Accessibility: Open to the Public
Features: Parking lot, mowed trail (approx. 0.5 mile)
Driving Directions: » Click Here